Saturday 20 June 2015

The Burnt House

Life has taken me down many strange roads, and not all of them have been straightforward.


And people keep expecting me to read signs and stuff. That takes up far too much of my time.


Once long ago, I had an affair with Luck behind Survival Instincts back. Survival Instinct found out and left, and Luck moved in. Sometimes I still get the occasional message from Survival Instinct- your typical generic "someday you'll regret this and come crawling back to me" speech of a broken heart. And the truth is, I do sometimes ponder whether there's any truth to that, but life is just so much more exciting now. Luck does things with me Survival Instinct would never do.

And that brings us to our next adventure.



This adorable deathtrap is situated just outside Shrewsbury, and seems to have suffered from a fire. Scaffolding has since been set up, and then abandoned for nature to reclaim. A large portion of it, though not all, is covered in graffiti, and there were plenty of outlying buildings, one of which had some fun machinery.There was also a curious little room that still had a functioning light that was left on, indicating that this place might not be quite as deserted as it looks.
















And as you can see in the above picture, joining me is the ever-present Big Brother. But between you and me, I'm not sure that camera there is still functional. Some of the safer buildings were covered in graffiti and indications of teenage presence, and I was able to wander wherever I wanted without consequences.
By the way, it is just between you and me. You're the only person who reads this blog, so thanks.

Oddly enough I can't find anything about this house, but its architecture hints strongly that it's old  but has been modernized in the years prior to whatever incident had destroyed it. The graffiti, as always, only covered the sturdier parts of the outlying buildings, but since reading whatever the walls had to say was a low priority, I went straight for the main house.

Of course, this building being in the condition it's in, there's no question of how I gained access but I will remind you that I don't vandalize, steal, force entry or disclose location.

Here we have a nice front door, leading from a nice overgrown garden to the main hallway.


It looks like this time around, I won't be venturing upstairs.



From the foot of the stairs, there were doors on my left and right to two lounges, as well as an arched doorway at the back of the hall.




The lounge had a little bit of graffiti, although not nearly on par with graffiti in some of the safer parts, but the fact that this is the only piece of graffiti in the entire main house made me rather proud of this kid. Your graffiti is awful, but I admire the courage. Of course,  I'd admire it more so if it was deeper into the building and not right by a smashed gaping open window. In terms of safety, the floor in these lounges is falling apart. The ceiling is falling apart too, a notable photogenic feature being some floorboards caught on a wire just dangling in the middle.









There was, to my delight, a cellar. Its entrance was situated directly beneath the hallway stairs, and it looked horribly unsafe. But life is far too important to take seriously so I wasted no time getting down there.





The good news is, the ceiling was very low, so even had the lounge floor collapsed with me in it, I wouldn't have fallen that far. There's always a bright side, right?



This archway under the stairs was a nice architectural touch.


And there is this lovely archway. But we're a little too far out of Shrewsbury to fuel any tunnel rumours. If anything, this may have led to a second cellar beneath the second lounge. The fact that it's right by the stairs rules out fireplace, unless the second lounge was an added extension.



As far as cellars go, it was really photogenic. And here's me with my silly camera phone.

(By the way, on the top right hand side of the blog is a donate button for the camera fund. I'll be able to work magic with a proper DSLR. Once I get one, I'll be revisiting some of the previous places that were let down by the phones picture quality and focusing issues, such as Vanity House, Camelot, the knights templar grotto, Conduit Head, and other places. So any donation is most welcome, and will drastically improve the blog content. )

But I digress...This was situated beneath the fireplace in the lounge.




Moving on from the cellar and the hallway, a right hand doorway led to another large room that I named The Jungle Room, because it was collapsed and claimed by nature to the point of being difficult to actually enter. It did have a little old fireplace at the back.



From there was a lovely room, with a semi-collapsed ceiling. The fact that some of it had yet to collapse made me feel pretty unsafe, but it sure was photogenic. There are some lovely arched doorways, and a massive fireplace that seemed far more modern than the rest of the building and somehow out of place.







Looking up through the collapsed ceiling, there was a fireplace high up, in the mostly-floorless upstairs bedroom.


Moving on, there was a smaller pink room at the back, with another collapsed stairway, and the remains of various bathroom facilities and of course, the presence of nature fighting to reclaim that which humankind had abandoned.


















I thought these were books at first, but they turned out to be very neatly stacked slabs.



And of course, high above me was an open door that I couldn't get to. How was I ever going to get up there???


Well, thanks to the scaffolding and against my better judgement, I did get a chance to sit on what looks like a bathroom, judging it purely on the wall tiles. This ceiling was in pieces but it held my weight. 





Returning downstairs, I found a few more additional rooms.














Whereas in the nearby barns were a few pieces of abandoned artefacts and machinery.











Oooooh.... a deliciously unsafe-looking ladder!

It was upstairs in the barn that I met my arch nemesis of the day. This pigeon infuriated me by walking ahead of me, exactly where I wanted to walk, incredibly slowly. And I had to advance with caution in such a confined space because I knew that if I proceeded at a casual pace it would take off and fly around the room erratically and possibly even poop on me. We explored the place together, much slower than I would have liked until we eventually found a window and it escaped.
















There was, curiously enough, an area that had been taken over by graffiti, and clearly used by neighbourhood kids as a chillout spot in the past. It was in bizarre contrast to a lot of the rest of the building. I couldn't help but wonder why the kids stuck to this part of the building, and ignored the rest, most notably the part with all the cool machinery and annoying pigeon.

I bet that pigeon scared them all away...
















I actually really love seeing graffiti like "I love people." It's a shame it's in a place nobody will see it.










I then found this room which had a functioning light. This unnerved me somewhat because if there's a power supply then it's being used. However, its graffiti, makeshift bench and obviously used fireplace makes it look like some teenage hangout, but it's hard to imagine the neighbourhood kids being this resourceful. And it's hard to imagine someone working here making a den...







On a final note, nearby was the burnt remains of a 1960s Commer.








So that was the Burnt House, the history of which I know absolutely nothing. Nobody seems to know what happened to it, and why it is the way it is, perched on the outskirts of Shrewsbury, gradually being taken by nature.
Of course, if anyone sees this, recognises it, and can fill in some blanks, please get in touch. The same applies for any of the content shown in this blog.

In the meantime, you're all welcome to add / follow me on various social media.

Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/shrewsburyfromwhereyouarenot
Twitter- http://www.twitter.com/urbexshropshire
Instagram- http://www.instagram.com/shrewsburyfromwhereyouarenot
And I'm not quite sure how this works but fellow bloggers can follow my blog with Bloglovin.

Thank you for reading. Keep checking in. The best is yet to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment