Sunday 1 July 2018

Globe House

(DISCLAIMER:  I do not force entry, vandalize, steal, or disclose means of entry or location if it isn't obvious. I do this to protect locations and respect them. Trespass without forced entry is a civil offense rather than a criminal one, which isn't worth acting on unless one causes damage, steals, has ill intent, etc. I simply photograph and leave everything as I find it. I do not condone breaking and entering, and I do not condone what I do. I'm a danger to myself and a terrible role model )

Often in forbidden tourism circles, abandoned houses end up with cute nicknames, like Red Dress Manor, which had a red dress in it, and Cloud House, which is on top of a really big hill. Not particularly imaginative, I know. It's just that after a while, "abandoned house" becomes a really vague statement, and every time the real name of an abandoned property ends up on the internet, the glass vanishes from the windows and the contents of the house end up on ebay. So I try to keep the location secret, even though I'm not the only one doing this.
So todays abandoned house is named, by me, Globe House, because it's on planet Earth, which is somewhat globular, give or take the mountain ranges and deep goddamn oceans.

Abandoned houses are mysterious- Nobody knows for sure how they end up abandoned, but it's generally believed or speculated that the previous occupant has passed away, with no family there to take on their posessions. As such, I'm incredibly respectful of such locations. I don't ever force entry, and I leave everything as I find it. And I never disclose their locations, because as established, I can't trust everyone else to be as awesome as me. These places are like gravestones or museums to a persons entire life, and it's important to me that they are respected.


The house itself looks pretty epic, and certainly resembles the stuff of horror movies. Or at very least, a set for a Casper reboot.


Looking at the stairs, the garden, and the church-style windows, it seems that once long ago this house would have made quite an incredible home. Now it's lifeless, and open to the elements, and to pesky tourists.


I did wonder if maybe this house, with its churchy vibe, had any former connections to a nearby church, but I found nothing on it, and curiously my maps from the 1800s or later don't depict it. Of course that's not to say it wasn't there. A lot of these vintage maps are woefully lacking in detail. Similarly Google streetview shows this place shrouded in nature, and practically invisible from the road. Streetview of this area only goes back as far as 2009, but I was hoping to get an external view of it from the past, to get a rough idea of when it was last lived in. Sadly I couldn't. This place is completely mysterious. I had heard rumours from other urban explorers that it might possibly be habited by squatters, so I proceeded with caution. However the house appeared empty.




 There's a single mattress propped up against the wall, along with pieces of a bed frame. It seems someone was clearing this place out at some point.



There's a piano under there somewhere.


 Making my way up the stairs, I found this curious door which led to the backyard.


 However, the backyard is some seven feet lower than the actual door. We'll come back to this when we check out the garden.


I made my way up the stairs, to the next floor. There's more bed propped up against the wall, but no room up here feels particularly bedroomy. In fact, it felt more loungey.



Here we have my favourite room, the lounge with the titular globe, which is what led me to call the place Globe House.


What, did you really think I named this place Globe House because it's on planet Earth which is somewhat globular? That would just piss off the Flat Earth Society, and who wants that?
 I'm already hated by the Right Wing for saying that Donald Trump looks like the child of the Lorax and Miss Trunchbull, and I'm hated by the Left because when I said it, I was sat with my legs slightly open. I don't need the Flat Earthers on my back too!



Oddly enough the toilet didn't have a door, but a curtain. There's still toilet paper and hand soap.




Likewise, there was a curtain into the next room but it seemed a lot more makeshift. There seemed to be a lot of plant pots and gardening stuff in this room.




There were toys too! I'm unfamiliar with the franchise though, but looks like they'd be from some Pixar or Dreamworks movie.



There's a small kitchen up here, but there's nothing much left to it.


And just beyond the kitchen, connected to it without a joining hallway, was this bedroom, with more bed remains propped up next to the window.



This little storage box in the corner caught my eye. It was empty, but it looks pretty cool, apart from that suspicious yellow stain.


Further upstairs, the windows retain their churchy look from the ground floor, which was somewhat missing on the last floor.



So this is the top floor. It has a tie hanging on the stairway post.


It also has an external water tap on the landing, which is certainly unique.


As before, the rooms up here felt more lounge-like than bedroom-like, and I'd almost think that this house was converted into flats, if it wasn't for the fact that there was only one toilet.



Each "lounge" area seems centred around this fireplace.


This massive old trunk has "Shrewsbury" written on it, but I can't make out the other word.


There's a window propped up against the wall.


In a bedroom, there was a lot of clutter, with only the wardrobe full of clothes giving any indication that it was once a bedroom. There was a ladder up to an attic, but a peek up there proved uneventful.


And then there's a rather nice bathroom.


It's pretty cluttered, and oddly has a dish rack full of plates and mugs next to the bath, presumably having been taken up here from the kitchen. But my favourite feature is the window. It's like having a bath in a castle. I actually really love this house.




It sure is strange that all the kitchen stuff has been dropped up here.



The sink has been removed too.

So that's it for the interior of the building. What's one to make of this? It's odd. The bathroom is on the top floor, the kitchen is on the middle floor, and everythings been moved around so much that who knows what was a lounge and what was a bedroom? But I love it. I love the architecture and layout. If I had the money, I would buy this place and fix it up.

Regarding the fact that that kitchen is on the middle floor, I did wonder if maybe there were stairs going up to the door on the stairway, which would make the ground floor more of a raised cellar. 


So here I am outside, looking up at the bizarre raised door, and sure enough, the ground floor window does look more basementy. Ultimately though, I'm just going to conclude that this house is strange, and that's why I like it.


The yard itself would actually make quite a nice garden, if given the proper time and care. It has a nice little tiered design, like the gardens that exist behind Wyle Cop, which I got a good view of when I climbed Infinity and Beyond. This yard also has this really ancient-looking outbuilding.


There's a bridge over from the higher garden to the upper floor of the outbuilding, although this is collapsing. There are also stairs going down to the ground floor of it


But as you can see, the stairs are also collapsing.


But here you can see what I mean about the bridge from the upper floor to the higher garden. But this particular building is locked tight, and as such I couldn't venture in. Forcing entry is a criminal offence.




What I love about this garden is that it has these archways that lead underneath it, into this awesome underground tunnel.


It's full of bricks, which I found ominous. It's almost as if plans were made to brick this place up. Or on a more positive note, perhaps it was bricked up and someone uncovered it. Of course, as if I didn't love this house enough, the fact that it sits on top of a big underground cavern has won me over. If only I was rich.


But that's it for Globe House. It's a big mysterious house with an unknown history, and while I'm not the only person to have come here and photographed it, I do urge people to keep it secret, especially given how other abandoned houses have been so severely mistreated.

Next blog post, I'm actually nipping slightly out of Shropshire, just to make the blogs title ever more inaccurate. It's an interesting find though.
In the meantime, share this blog post if you like it, and like my Facebook page, follow my Instagram, my Twitter, and subscribe to my Youtube because I'll get round to updating that eventually.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Love this house too! I wonder why so much was just left behind? Fascinating thanks

    ReplyDelete