Wednesday 24 July 2019

The Shell Grotto

(Disclaimer: Joking aside, I fully understand the risks/dangers involved in these adventures and do so in the full knowledge of what could happen. I don't encourage or condone and I accept no responsibility for anyone else following in my footsteps. Under UK law, trespass without force is a civil offence. I never break into a place, I never photograph a place that is currently occupied, as this would be morally wrong and intrusive, I never take any items and I never cause any damage, as such no criminal offences have been committed in the making of this blog. I will not disclose  locationI leave the building as I find it and only enter to take photographs for my own pleasure and to document the building.)

Hi everyone! Todays blog post is a small one, but the location sure is quirky and it deserves a mention, as a little nugget of Shropshires history gathering dust in the countryside, a fair trek from any actual civilisation. It's this small, but cute little grotto.


Isn't this adorable? I love these quiet, hidden away treasures. I like to imagine that they were constructed by or for weirdos like me, who can't enter social interactions without internally screaming. You might chat to me, and I'll seem calm, but no, I'm a delightful functioning wreck.
And I don't know why. It must take some genius levels of genius to figure out my brain. I can't do it, and I can turn a colander into a radar dish to grab Barclays free wifi in my house, so what chance has anyone else got? I do pride myself in my life hacking skills though. I'm a walking talking lifehack. If a lifehack could manifest in a big fleshy human form, it would be me.
But I digress!

The point is, if I had land, a little home-from-home getaway would almost certainly be on it, tucked away, hidden from view.

So what's so special about this little hut? Well for all its mediocre exterior, the interior is a work of art...


The walls are covered in thousands of shells, each intricately adhered to the walls, very similar to the shell grotto of the Cyclops Cavern, but cute and diddy, and not part of any larger sprawling extravaganza. 
At least, not anymore. 


The land was all once part of a larger estate owned by a wealthy family of which the nearby village is also named after. On the land was a massive castellated manor, the ruins of which are open to the public. Its of historic significance due to being a meeting spot for Parliament back in 1283, but in 1487, the land was confiscated by Henry VII, who in turn gave it to the Duke of Norfolk.
By the 1750s the land was owned by a whole new family, but much of what had been here before had been demolished, the castellated manor reduced to ruin. 

A man named Edward set about improving the landscape, and had this little grotto built in 1750, presumably with a prettier view than the woodland that surrounds it today. He also had a new hall built near the ruins of the old one in 1753 and enlarged in 1814. 

But of the estate this is the only part that has not been re-purposed. Today, the ruins of the old hall are a tourist attraction, the new hall is a college, the village a conservation area, and this little shell grotto forgotten completely, seemingly having crept under the radar.



For a building made in 1750 and exposed to the elements, it's in shockingly good condition. Dotted around it are these old decorative tiles, each depicting miniature Chinese landscapes, some of which are damaged, most of which are missing.



But look! This place is amazing!




There's a small pig adhered to the wall, presumably a later addition by a visitor.


And in the middle of the floor is the remains of a table support. Allegedly the side of the circular building opposite the door was a seating area with a central table, meaning a few people could have sat here, and chilled, and necked back a couple of drinks.

It sure would have been interesting to see what it looked like in its glory day, but at the same time, what we have here is still in terrific condition.


That is, of course, all I've really got. To conclude, I love that places like this exist, hidden away where people don't generally go, but part of me does wish they were more protected and available to be enjoyed by everyone.

On the land, there is also a clay pigeon shooting range, but the seats and equipment look like they've not been used in a fair while either!


Because social media is being a bit of a wazzock and not showing the updates of people we follow to see the updates of, share the blog where you want to increase coverage.

Next time I'm visiting one of Shropshires derelict pubs before I do another derelict pub on the national blog, Everywhere From Where You Are Not.

In the meantime, follow my Instagram, like my Facebook, and follow my Twitter.
Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Looks really interesting. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW! I would love to see the shell grotto :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can i follow u plz I love it work x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I follow u i love ur
    work

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to see that on the Internet. I've walked round those woods a few times and the landowner was not too rude with me but he threatened y partner with a hammer in front of our kids and the grandparents. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete